Monday, May 19, 2008

Oh the joy of...

1) A weekend to myself! Now that doesn't mean I don't adore my husband, but a bed to myself, time to work on my own projects and potter around the house unkempt with no-set plans was devine!

2) Late night DIY - noooo that doesn't relate to 1) but instead to an IKEA table I had put off assembling. I was very impressed with myself for being able to follow the instructions and having an item that actually resembled a table. Until, I was about to build the finishing touch, the draw for said table, and I found they had left out a screw! AAAAGGGHH. No doubt it will be another 4 weeks now until I look at the thing again! However the sense of accomplishment, however fleeting, was good.

3) Setting the place ablaze - with heat from our Pot Belly Stove! Soo nice to have a crackling fire, although quite scary for someone who is used to an insulated stove! Ever since our 'housewarming bonfire' I am a little paranoid about the fact that our house is all wood and all too combustible! Hence, when the fire got going and the stove was very hot to the touch.. and I could smell burning..I did have a little panic attack. Thankfully, it was just the fact that the armchair was too close to the stove and the stuffing was getting warm...hmm only that little matter!

4) Friendship - the comfort and comraderie of close friends who know you well and with whom you can relax. Realising how lucky I am to still be in touch with people from school days despite our diverging lives. And, the delight at the friendships which have developed through many different avenues - to those whose friendship have touched my life in many unique and wonderful ways I thank you!

5) Cool weather! Nothing like a crackling fire, a cup of cocoa, a warm doona and a returned hubby to snuggle up to.

xx nighty night off to grab some of that sweet chocolate goodness and try out the fire extinguisher ;-)

2 comments:

SF said...

sounds like a great weekend Jen. I too have learned to really appreciate solitude!! It can be a beautiful thing. And yes, nice to have some cool weather to try out the fireplaces, hey? :)

jazzy cat said...

Thanks Min! Glad to hear you share in the delights of solitude now too. Fireplace is good...but now it seems to smoke like blazes and it is making me abit sick :-(
These are the things you don't get lessons in and need - household maintenance!