Saturday, May 10, 2008

May is THE Month..

THE month for Birthday's! And a joy filled month indeed.
Those born in this esteemed Month (of which I know anyway) include:

May 4th - Saminda Fern (aka: Min)
May 8th - Candice Grimes
May 10th - Carlene Scott
Not to forget Mother's Day on the 11th!
May 12th - my Dad
May 15th - Alison Jones
May 24th - ME
May 26th - John Harvey (my deceased friend)

Hip Hip Hooray!!

So tonight my family, godmother and family friend went to dinner to celebrate my Dad's coming of age - that being stone age! We had a wonderful time at Mu'Ooze, an eritrean restaurant located in Moorooka. It was chosen because my Dad has a fascination for other cultures and loves experiencing anything different (no I don't know where my genes come from at all!). The meal was fantastic with share platters of curries on a bread which resembled a crepe in texture, and a delectable panna cotta for dessert. Yes, strange to think but this African country was actually occupied by Italians at one stage - hence the lasagna and panna cotta on the menu!

The atmosphere in the restaurant was terrific, with a highlight being the roasting of coffee beans in a traditional manner on a stage in the restaurant. You've never seen a 63yr old man so excited! The little child that came to watch with his mother was pushed aside as Dad moved in to examine and quiz the poor woman on ever possible aspect of the proceedings. If you know my father, then you know this is not unusual. He is a man that loves knowing the intricate details concerning anything and everything and is therefore a great man to have on your Trivia Quiz team as he knows SO MUCH! One of these days I really must listen more to what he actually says.

Needless to say his next project involves making a roasting pan (yes, why buy when you can make and use those metal working Tafe class lessons at last) and coffee beans freshly picked from his own trees. The secret is seems, as I'm sure you'll want to know, is in the high heat and quick turning of the beans as they roast. Dad apparently was leaving them for too long on a low heat and wasn't regularly turning (imagine as you say that a pointed finger being wagged at me with a gleam in the disclosee's eye and you'll have Dad).

I was also so impressed by the fact that the restaurant is run and staffed by african women, many of whom are mothers. This is an outlet for them to gain experience in hospitality and therefore future skills for other careers beyond the home.

Anyway, I recommend Mu'Ooze to you all! The staff were very warm and welcoming and the coffee DIVINE!!! I wish them all the best - if tonight was anything to go by, the full tables say it all!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll see if I can bring my birthday forward a few weeks so I can join you all in May. Might be a bit warmer then.

Steph said...

Baby Smith is due on the same day as you!!