Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sweeet!


Last night I had an enticing conversation with Steph Smith. Enticing to my senses, a taste sensation no less, in a single sentence - "There's a new cupcake shop in West End".
Whoa - sensory overload! Did you say CUPCAKES! As in delectable decadence in a small well-decorated package??!!!! Why did I not know about this!!!!!

Thankfully I managed to keep all this internal and played it cool with a casual, "Oh really?". Followed not so cooly with a menacing, "Where!". Steph being a trooper, didn't flinch as I salavated in front of her, and filled me in on all the necessary calorific details.

Which neatly leads me into another topic of culinary delight that we touched on...BAKERIES! Oh the big topics were covered at Murray Henman's 40th celebrations!

So this suitably stirring topic is perfect for a blog me thinks. Steph had a neat list of top 5 bakeries/patisseries of renown which I'll now share...and please feel free to send me your own! I love nothing better than an excuse for coffee and cake, so should you need a dining partner.......my services are available (all for the small price of a sweet treat ;-) ).

Top 5 Bakeries (mix of Steph and mine):

1. Patty Cake place at West End
2. Toowong French Patisserie (Cat and Fiddle Shopping Centre)
3. Balmoral Bakery
4. Flour Power at Highgate Hill
5. Bakery near Ashgrove? (sorry you know my memory!)

Any takers?..................................

6 comments:

Niti said...

I have always been in for anything sweet and if you add coffee to that Im in heaven! So Im in!

gully_girl said...

Hey there-
I haven't tried the cupcake parlour or whatever it's called at West End yet, but here are my fave bakeries

No. 1. Is "Levain" at Morningside, not sure where because we get their bread at the West End markets on Saturdays- down the bottom. Fantastic sourdough and spelt loaves.
2. Flour Power (and just round the corner!)
3. Sol Breads, yes I know, ridiculously expensive and appalling service but still damn good loaves. They should be shot for doing the sourdough croissant however, somethings just weren't meant to be made without yeast.
4. Le Bon Choix is a newish bakery in town, near the Eagle St end of Queen St I think, very french and gorgeous.
5. The local bakery at the bottom of Gladstone Rd next to the Nightowl is in the vein of ye olde bakeries, the best pies and the vanilla slice is to die for, good carrot, banana and date cakes too. Dirt cheap to boot.

That's my list! Can't resist a food post, Jen. Have been reading yr blog BTW, you're not talking to yourself out there in cyberspace!!

gully_girl said...

PS I'm Justine, Caleb's sis.

jazzy cat said...

Hey gully girl..or should that be bakery queen! Thanks for the top 5's! So glad to see there's another carb craving, sweet swooner out there. Great to have your comments and see that you are reading the blog!!! Have to check out Le Bon Choix and the one on Gladstone Rd -there's my saturday morning activity sorted!

SF said...

Hmmmmm, yummy...............
A step up from our old Donut King days, eh Jen?
I look forward to a time when you and I can chat over coffee and cake again! :)

jazzy cat said...

Ah Min - fear not, I'm still a huge fan of the donut king to this day! (much to Andrew's shagrin!).