Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bollyfunk - Jennysunk

As some of you may or may not know, I've finally got my booty into gear and donned the appropriate attire to 'get down' with those in the hood. If those hoods be sequined and in vibrant-hued colours...

Inspired by "So You Think You Can Dance" and pushed by my friend Niti, I'm now attending Bollywood and Funk dance classes. I can 'crunk' it with the best of them, and my shimmy is quite a sight to behold (sunglasses optional).

I refer to Hamish and Andy when I say I'm "doing" bollyfunk. Now that I've gone to more than two classes, I feel I can technically qualify for participation status. The only downside, apart from being winded on the warm-up and having to invest in some garish gym wear, is not going often enough. I find I'm not alone here - doing a well balanced survey of two - in having the memory of a goldfish when it comes to remembering the previous weeks' dance moves.

My husband is no help in this regard either, as he has yet to ask what I actually do each Monday night! So there's no-one to show off my classy moves to and hence reinforce the endless melange of steps, which fade as quickly as my aspirations to become fitter.

So this Monday was the third week of our dance routines for Bollywood and Funk and the final for each particular genres dances. I was determined to remember at least ONE dance in it's entirity so, if only to prove to myself, I could see what I've spent all this money on (and also to show off my skills, for charitable endeavours, by say entertaining the troops in Afghanistan (ahem)!

Alas, this was not to be...The third and final trying week introduced the element of partners!
Okay, if looking like an uncoordinated startled bear on prozac wasn't enough, I now had to meld these thuddings and thumpings with someone else in some semblence of rhythm. The instructor had gone one syncopated-step too far! Introductory classes people, introductory.

My poor partner turned out to be, ironically, the only male in the class and Indian at that. So one distinct advantage, being a Bollywood dance, offset with one distinct disadvantage - that being paired with me, not male ofcourse ;-) . Anyway, needless to say I was a knockout. My poor partner was, dare I say it, worse than me!

I look forward to next week and a set of two new routines and two left feet with which to perform them!

2 comments:

Niti said...

Oh this brings back memories! I struggled to even remember what we did as soon as I walked out the door! Ive seen you move, Im sure you look awesome! PS: It was SOOOOOO great to catch up with you today!

jazzy cat said...

Niti you're the best! Thanks for introducing me to the delights of bollywood and funk lessons. Can't believe that now I'm going...you're not (i see no correlation ;-) )!
Anyway, good to see you too Ms Shopaholic..the hat is sensational!