Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sequins and Shenanigans

My goodness I have been slack!

I know it seems unbelievable, but I have actually been able to prise myself away from the computer of late (read addicted to Facebook now instead). So alas, my blogging has suffered as a result. Therefore I am well aware that my few loyal readers may have given up on the Pimpernel and her supply of ink!

Refilled I continue with:

1) J and A'isms:

Oh I wish I remembered them all ;-)

A: rushing into the room in a loud indignant manner - "I don't belieeeeeve it!"
J: turning away from the computer screen (shock horror) - "What?! What is it?!"
A: holding aloft newly acquired cough syrup - "The measuring cup off the cough liquid starts at 25ml! I specifically went for the one cough mixture that had a measure for the amount I needed to take". Letting the breverity of this statment sink in - "The dose says 5ml! And the b"%$y measuring cup starts at 25ml!!!"
J: Obviously speechless at this cunning plot by the manufacturers, and waiting to see what was to follow from this DASTEDLY set back to my man-cough-suffering husband's recovery.
A: "I mean, if it had started at 15ml then at least it would have been closer to 5ml and I could have taken a shot at it."
J: thoughtful "hmmm" (I may have been distracted by someone's status update on Facebook)
A: silence
J: attention now piqued by the lack of ranting and raving from indignant man-cold suffering husband
A: "Ah, I see......"
J: "yes?"
A: "it's actually 2.5ml, not 25ml"......sheepishly eyeing off measuring cup and slinking out of room
J: satisfied that the danger had passed and settling herself back infront of her Facebook profile for the evening. "Jen is..bemused at her husband's antics - again!".

2) Plagarised posts (part A):

'Why do you blog?'
- this comes from a recent post by Min who outlined her reasons and emotions behind the desire to blog.

Perhaps - I blog, therefore I am. Which means I haven't blogged, therefore I am not?!....hmmm.

Actually I think it's a stock standard reason of wanting to have an outlet for all these tit-bits of life you want to share with others but seem too trivial to actually call someone and tell them about. As we don't have children, it's not about updating relatives with news of what our mob has been up to but rather a creative outlet for myself. I find I read so little of late that I feel my vocabulary slipping. Take normal conversations - I forget words. Common words! Like 'sequin' (aka: that circular shiny thing - as I described it to my boss while gesturing hopelessly around the room, as if that would somehow pluck the word from a corner in which it was hiding). So blogging is a form of mental exercise for me, allowing me to dabble in creative writing, which I love so much, while hopefully resoldering a few frayed neural connections!

Okay, so soldering torch aside, it's good to be back posting!

I have so much to tell you, but will save it. I know others have been frantically posting all November, so my excuse is that I'll let you all catch your breaths before I too join the fray again!

7 comments:

david said...

Ah, facebook... or as one of friends describes it, "just like blogging but without any actual content" :)

Meanwhile, i like the new/improved blog design

jazzy cat said...

Many thanks Mr Eco and ever- logical.

Renae said...

Oh my GOSH I laughed outloud reading your convo with A. SO funny! 2.5mL.... what a crack-up.
Good to have you back!

Unknown said...

I can't believe you weren't interested in the volume of cough mixture measuring devices! Your poor husband might have died.

jazzy cat said...

I did the wifely duty of pointing out to him that he could use a measuring spoon instead. Logical?! Yes! Andrew - ah no thanks!

Steph said...

If you're concerned about your vocab - it can easily be rectified by adding the pathwords application on facebook. My kids have been way neglected since I discovered this game, someone ought to contact the child safety authorities soon. It's way simpler than blogging too - must get back to the game!!

SF said...

Ah, so good to have you back Jen! I for one have certainly been missing your posts. For me it's a way of staying semi-up-to-date with what you are doing. And kind-of feeling like we're still in touch! :) Actually, i bought your Christmas present last week. Now ,do I post it or hold onto it in the hope that we might see each other before Dec 25...........?

As for the vocab loss, I can totally relate. I also suffer from memory loss, and the unfortunate habit of doing really really silly things. "Fuzzy brain", I call it. Creative writing is a wonderful form of self-expression, I agree!
Hope you're having a good week,
Love you, MIn. xo