Saturday, October 25, 2008

Step 1 - admit your problem...

Hi I'm Jenny, and I like killing plants (mostly herbaceous ones).
At last I can admit it!

Step 2 - admit defeat....
I'm no green-thumb - however hard I try!


While my sherlock-style sleuthing has improved since I've moved over to the 'dark side' of plant physiology, my pot plants have suffered long-torturous deaths as a result.


Plant pathology = pathos = laziness = death.


See it was inevitable that when I walked hand in hand with the scalpel, my love of the secateurs was lost.


But redemption is at hand!

Well, nature has a sneaky way of showing she's still there to pick up the dry, withered pieces and go forth and be fruitful!

That's right - it's Spring - trees are blooming. Even in my garden!


Infact it feels like Eden to me in my garden as I witness trees that I thought were so deprived of nutrients, flowering and then ...... producing fruit!!!!


I'm like a little kid, I'm so excited to see my avocado, mango and lemon tree all with small growths that indicate that maybe this time:


- the voracious possums haven't eaten all the new growth on every accessible tree limb


- the bronze-orange-bugs aka: stink bugs haven't sucked all the juice out of the citrus buds


- the mysterious flowering pattern of the avocado has come together in magical synchronous dichogamy!



I just had to share the wonderous bounty of our poor neglected garden!


I think that sole bucket of laundry grey-water obviously pushed the avocado over the line this year. Plus the talk of demolition scared the mango into reproduction! And the lemon tree - well she's a stayer!













"And that's your bloomin' lot, but just for this week!"....

4 comments:

Renata said...

LOL - have you tried succulents- they take no care at all!
Hope you get lots of fruit from your mango tree. The avocado looks good.

jazzy cat said...

LOL - I have to admit I'm not a big fan of succulents! I'm actually thinking of planting a veggie garden as I'd love to see more 'fruits' of my labour...but it could be a risk ;-)

david said...

bloomin' marvellous - all you need now is to throw on some blud'n-bone :)

SF said...

Hey there,
I missed this post! Came through on the email but I overlooked it...
Your avocado looks AMAZING!! I would love to grow avocados. Maybe I should plant one?
Go for it with the veggies, Jen- it's all hit and miss, but such fun trying anyhow! And nothing like eating fresh produce. :)